Halifax, Nova Scotia - On Saturday, October 18th from 7 p.m. to 10pm, exclusive coverage of the Municipal Vote 2008 will air on Eastlink Television. CBC News: Nova Scotia at Six host Jim Nunn will anchor the coverage, joined by Eastlink's Dan Robertson providing regular updates from the 'Results Desk'. This unique production partnership is a first for Eastlink and CBC Maritimes.
"With these two giants of Nova Scotia television programming joining forces, our constituents will enjoy an impressive evening of coverage of the Nova Scotia municipal elections," said Michael Smith, Director of Eastlink Television.
"Eastlink and CBC are both committed to Nova Scotia viewers," said Andrew Cochran, Managing Director of CBC Television, Maritimes. "This combination allows us to pool our strengths to deliver the most Nova Scotia news on election night."
Newly elected representatives will be appearing from Eastlink studios throughout Nova Scotia, combined with coverage from CBC reporters and analysts. Reporters will also be at the mayoral candidates' offices in the HRM to speak with the candidates as election results unfold. In addition to Dan Robertson providing returns from across the province, Jim Nunn will be joined by several special commentators to examine the issues that affect communities across the province and discuss how these may have impacted voting patterns. These will include:
- One of Canada's leading public opinion and marketing research professionals, Don Mills, of Corporate Research Associates
- Lunenburg Mayor Laurence Mawhinney, who has served as the town's Mayor for the past 29 years
- Jane Purves, former editor of Daily News and former Cabinet Minister under John Hamm
- Parker Donham, well known commentator, appearing live from the Cape Breton CBC studio
- Kim Kierans, Professor and Director of the School of Journalism at the University of King's College in Halifax
- Tom Urbaniak, Professor at Cape Breton University, where he teaches courses in Canadian politics and local government
Operating from its headquarters in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Eastlink is the fifth largest cable company in Canada and was the first to offer customers local telephone service over a state-of-the-art digital network. Eastlink is one of Canada's 50 Best Managed Companies with more than 800 employees who provide a range of communications, entertainment & advertising services to business and residential customers across the Atlantic Provinces. For more information on Eastlink products and services, please visit www.eastlink.ca
Public and Media Relations